Thursday, July 12, 2012

Another spectator's report: IMCDA

While this was far from my first time spectating an Ironman, it's definitely a different ball game with a tiny baby to take care of. In summary, Jeremy had a good race, and we were very proud of him (and happy it didn't take him longer ;)). 


 If you've never been to Coeur d'Alene, it's a beautiful, cool, woodsy place just outside Spokane, where we stayed. To get there we either had a 1500 mile drive, or Hunter's first plane trip. We chose the latter. I find flying with a baby to be less stressful than driving with one who is not completely happy in his car seat. He got his own boarding pass on Southwest, and stayed wrapped in the Moby, asleep, except when that one flight attendant decided to stand over me until I took him out (my question is, isn't it much safer for him to be wrapped and next to my body??). When he woke up, I had no problem nursing him right there in my middle seat. On one 2.5 hour flight, we stood in the back of the plane, chatting with the flight attendants, for most of the time. 


Our hotel in Spokane was about 30 minutes away from the race site, so Friday morning, we got up and headed over to check the place out. Jeremy was prepared with swim booties and a neoprene cap, just in case. Turns out 57 degree water is not cold enough for him, so he went without. We drove the bike and run courses; since I did the race the bike course has completely changed. It was bit intimidating to me, even with the mountains we have around NM. It was beautiful, but open, so the wind would be a factor. Plus you could see just how much longer you'd have to climb that hill (a long long time). The night before the race we went to a real restaurant, then spent the night in a CDA hotel, which, at a fee of twice our Spokane hotel, was less than half as nice. But it was super close to the race and worked out really well for a sleepy baby at 4:30am.

We bundled up and headed to transition that morning, and found parking about .5 mile away from the action. Just before heading out to the lake, Jeremy realized his Garmin was dead, so the other two of us headed to the car to charge it, with the instructions to hand it through the fence during T1. Getting ready for a morning nap, we watched the start, then nursed in the Moby and waited to see that Daddy, who looked a hypothermic grayish pale color after the swim--but was smiling-- and completed our one assignment of the day.





A short bike loop kept us out and about little longer, then we headed back to the car for snack. Apparently I'd overdressed one of us; H got all cranky when I blasted the heat in the car until I took his fleece off. This apparently is his "mommy just because you're cold doesn't mean I am" look.




Just after unbundling the poor overheated baby, I realized that H's mommy-designed outfit wouldn't be making its public appearance after all. Thank goodness J had dressed him in it and actually seen it. 





We napped and played in the car, walked around the city, and avoided cowbells for several more hours, seeing Jeremy come by on the bike a few times. Nabbing a loud but ideal spot to watch him come into and out of T2, we stood in the shaded run out area under the towering trees by the lake. My efforts were noticed with a "good job to you too, mom" by another mommy spectator wrangling her older kids. It felt nice to be appreciated after deciding that NOBODY cares if you have a sleeping baby (get that cowbell away from me).



J came running by, looking happy, and stopping for a couple of kisses. I put H in the stroller to walk down to a better cheering spot (carrying him and pushing a stroller through crowds on the sidewalk = not easy), and he immediately fell asleep. We headed to a shady spot in a small park, where I walked circles to keep him asleep. At this point I really needed to use the bathroom, and found a porta potty, but just couldn't bring myself to take him into it or to ask the nice young guys playing hackeysack to watch him. So off to the coffee shop we headed, where a handicapped bathroom answered my prayers. We hung out there for a while, since we could see the race going by just outside of the windows.






At some point I realized that we were on the finishing stretch of the run, and not by the half way turnaround, so we headed down a few blocks. Just in time, as we walked up, I heard "1383!" yelled by the special needs volunteer, and looked up to see that running form I've gotten to know so well. He said at this point he was having a really hard time. I know that point in the race, and I've definitely had it while so close to the finish line but headed back out for another loop. 

Hunter and I started having a really hard time too. He was so tired, overwhelmed with all the noise, and he just couldn't sleep. After a bit longer in the coffee shop, and some crying (by both of us), we headed for the finish line, not really knowing when Jeremy would get there. I knew he'd slowed on the way out on the second loop, but I also knew the tracker was wrong for that segment, so i wasn't sure just how slow he was going. He surprised me by picking it back up for the final 6.5 miles, and we were thrilled to hear his name as he finished, and soon after saw him appear on the other side.



PRs are always good, and I feel like he had somewhat redeemed me and my race there 9 years ago.  Hunter seemed super proud of his daddy -- a little bit exhausted, but very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment