Thursday, January 31, 2013

Birthday

THE event of January is my birthday. Obviously. This year is just starting my second in this age group, so nothing new there. It's funny how each year shuffles people around just a bit, and when you're the one moving up, it's fun to compete with those you haven't competed with in 4 years. But I keep wondering, when do people slow down? Seems every new age group is full of more and more faster chicks. 

When I turned 30, I did 30 x 100s in the pool, rode 30 miles, and ran 30 minutes. This year my thoughts were "yahoo! an easy week!" I did start off with a brick, since it was Saturday, after all, but not before I came downstairs to decorations and presents from my two guys. Later we had homemade cake and filet mignon; my husband is turning into an excellent chef.

Some days I definitely feel my age, like at 3 am when Hunter wakes up, and I can't figure out how to work my arms in my sleepy daze. Most of the time I can't really believe I'm 36 now. I've been driving (legally) for 20 years, I'm a legal adult x2, and I remember my mom being 36! But age makes for better endurance athletes it seems. It may be experience in the sport, or maybe it's the mellowness that holds you back from blowing yourself up early on. 

Someone needs to remind me about that whole "holding back" thing next time I do another bike test. Whew! It was T-O-U-G-H. (I've started spelling things like o-u-t-s-i-d-e lately to keep the baby from thinking I'm taking him to his favorite place. Yes, already!) So during this 20 minutes of bike testing when I think I can't last a minute longer, I have to close my eyes to keep from staring at my clock slowly ticking off every second. And then when it's over I realize that time still passes pretty quickly, even during bike tests. Before you know it, the twenty minutes are over and you've just turned 36 and your baby is going to be a 1-year-old toddler in a month and a half. Better keep my eyes open so I don't miss it. 


 

1 comment:

  1. Look at those pictures!!!! Love, love them!!! Yes, don't blink! He is getting bigggg!!!!

    ReplyDelete