Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nursing Gymnastics

I have to laugh when I hear moms talk about relaxing in a chair for half an hour while nursing. Hunter has never nursed that long -- unless he's sleep-nursing. And it's anything but a calm experience. If I do manage to sit in the recliner,  he tends to latch on, then roll over into kneeling on my legs, and usually he tries to stand while still hanging on. One of his favorite positions for nursing is standing on our bed while I stand next to it. Sometimes I have to hold him dangling there. This usually occurs because I've dared to change clothes in front of him. If he catches me, he has to have a quick sample of milk. And if he catches my belly button exposed, it needs to be given a zerbert.

We drove up to Santa Fe last weekend, and if you've ever had a baby who can't stand to be contained by any means, you'll appreciate the variety of nursing gymnastics done in a car. But this time it's mommy who does the gymnastics. As Hunter sits comfortably in his padded lounge chair, trying to see around me, I've got my face smashed up against the window, one foot lodged against Jeremy's neck, and I'm doing an isometric pull-up on the ceiling handle. Going over railroad tracks makes this especially fun.

But when Hunter walks up to me, finds my hand, grabs a finger, and leads me to his excitement, I'll do any kind if gymnastics for him.


 Hiking in Santa Fe: "come see this mommy!"
 


Too big for his britches

No comments:

Post a Comment