Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Mighty Mujer Sprint

After a tiny amount of training and a lot of resting, I felt uber prepared for a super sprint triathlon in nearby El Paso on Saturday. Since my focus of the last few months has been longer distance, a sprint would feel really good,right? I've so missed that lung searing, stomach churning feeling of sub-hour races, so this race fit perfectly into my schedule.

A week before the race, we all got an email about our race numbers for the time trial pool swim start, which were based on our submitted estimations for 300 yds. Jeremy signed me up with a 4:30, which I can do, but not with anyone else touching me, and only while flip turning in one lane. A good warm up is also required. So when my number was 354 out of 500, I was a little worried. Must be a lot of fast women! The email I got back from the race director failed to calm my fears, since I was to be at the beginning of the second wave, since I failed to "certify" my time. Oops. Interpreted those emails wrong. I couldn't wait to start 10 seconds after the person who certified that she swims 300 yds in 14 minutes. And then the potential bike course catastrophes! My plan was to talk someone into spacing the waves a little more.

I should mention that this was an all women's race set up to cater to beginners. I really love beginners. It's always so much fun to see their excitement. Not surprisingly, I was the only person I saw warming up, I got an awesome transition spot, and there were actually more cruisers than tri bikes there. I did see another aero helmet that stuck out more than the bike with the front basket. And bless her heart, one lady came in off the bike with a backwards helmet. At least she wasn't the aero helmet owner.

I didn't manage to talk to anyone that knew anything about the waves. Nobody could tell me anything other than "there will be a break between waves, we just don't know how long." I was relaying this to my fellow second wavers when someone said, that sounds just like something a Mexican would say. Ha! I had just been laughing at how everyone else there was speaking Spanish. I think I like this culture; I wouldn't be late ever again!

The race started with 10 seconds between women. 10! That meant I'd be starting almost an hour later. I recounted at some point and realized they had moved the space up to 15 seconds. I really needed a second breakfast and another warm up before race time. Luckily I'd brought some trail mix with chocolate covered espresso beans, so I stayed nice and wired while waiting around and jogging a few more minutes, then a few MORE minutes.

Let me stop here and interject "Things I like about all-women races":
1. We took over both men's and women's locker rooms. No lines.
2. Porta potty was lacking usual drippings around the urinal thing.
3. I had no problem sitting down while waiting in line for the start and nursing Hunter, while chatting with other racers.
4. Everyone is so excited. It's like "girl power" everywhere. I even was told "we did it!" upon finishing.

Around 90 minutes after the race started, having seen several fast chicks finish, we had an untimed break of maybe 7-8 minutes. Who's counting anyway? I jumped in first, just waiting for the girl behind me to pass me, which she did within 75 yards. It was super stress-free, and I actually felt lucky to have such open lanes. We stayed on the left though, and I cannot flip turn that way, so it was mostly touch and turn style.

On to the bike, I knew it was uphill for the first 2.5 miles, but I was surprised by the steepness and my inability to catch my breath. I wanted to cheer for the girls walking their bikes up the hill and tell them not to feel bad, their cruisers weigh about 3 times what my bike weighs. I'm sure my heavy breathing comforted them instead; they knew I was paying for any speed I had.

The eternal hill ascended, we turned around on the wide, clear, and closed road, and headed downhill with a nice view of just about all of Juarez just across the border. I ended up spinning out in my hardest gear, at least until I had to sit up to avoid the many, but very well marked, potholes. Heartbreak hill actually consisted of two very short but steep little inclines with more bike walkers and a nice cheering section.

A few more turns and back uphill again led us toward T2. Just before the dismount line, I pulled my feet out, ready to cruise right into my parking spot, first rack on the left, closest spot to the aisle. The volunteers started shouting, "Stop! Dismount! Stop!" Since there's no stopping in triathlon, I continued my flying dismount, and got a "Nice!" from the sidelines. I'm guessing nobody else did this?

Jeremy was there giving me the updated current standings, with the time I needed to beat to win. He asked me if I heard him and thought I said yes. I recall none of his. In an oxygen deprived state, my brain apparently has an inability to process numbers, people's faces, words... Or it could have been the water in my ears and the echo from the aero helmet.

I had actually ridden the run course. It was a two mile, two lap course. Yes, two laps. For two miles. With bracelets given out after the first lap, so you didn't forget how many you'd done? Anyway, I again had trouble catching my breath with the small rolling hills straight out of transition. Mostly it was a blur, but there were some ups, some downs, and my racing flat's insole that was all bunched up under my toes.

I saw my cute boys just before finishing, and Jeremy told me I'd won! By 2 minutes! Cool!

Everybody was so friendly at this race. Afterwards when chatting with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places, one asked about Kona and said something to the effect of, "Ack, open water swim!!" That made me laugh since I often fail to remember just how little water there is around these parts. I assured her that the swim was not the worst part of that race. And I'm not a swimmer.

I picked up some great awards and we headed for the showers and brunch at our favorite place; it was a great way to end my last race in the desert. I'm certainly not planning on racing in an overpriced boring duathlon on base next weekend just to get a T-shirt and a medal.

Sweet Hunter is getting good at race spectating. I think he really had a good time. There are dogs everywhere, flowers to pick, grass to pull, and so many things to taste. We are back in the tasting stage again, but mostly with flowers and plants. I think he sees me smelling them and sticks his little tongue out for a taste.

He picks up on things sooo fast now! He knows how to close his eyes and walk backward on command-- not at the same time--yet, he does lots of signs like milk, cracker, more, all done, hurt (darn rose bushes), duck, and several more I haven't figured out yet. He really pays attention to what I'm saying and tries to not do anything "wrong" (I may get overly excited when he picks up bird poop). Stair climbing, holding our hands, is his latest physical feat. He's quick! Bouncing on the hammock outside is working his future jumping muscles. My little lefty has started drawing on the chalkboard, and we are still working that pitching/shooting arm.

Now his stuffed animals all get to share what he's eating, and I have to nurse them too! We found him cross referencing animals among several books the other day; there are multiple bunnies, cows, and goats (who chew on your clothes, as he will demonstrate). We love his sweet kisses; he kisses us and his stuffed animals, and the cats, much to their dismay. He is just so funny, smart, and cute, and I could go on and on.

He's really keeping me on my toes, and strong, from picking him up, bouncing him to sleep, carrying him around the grocery store, running up and down stairs... I guess we know who really gets the award for last weekend: my coach and cheerleader, Hunter.




Sunset with the ducks at the pond

1 comment: