Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Lasts

We are moving in less than three weeks, after almost three years here. I can't say that I'll miss a lot, but I am trying to get in some lasts. I need to finish up the last of the 25lbs of roasted, frozen green chiles from two Augusts ago. Hot chiles last a lot longer than one might expect. Broccoli, bean and green chile soup, green chile biscuits with chipotle gravy, green chile lasagna, quiche with onion and green chile, and a few pieces of diced chiles in other usual dishes have been on the menu frequently around here. I think Hunter is getting a taste of some spice and liking it. That's my New Mexican baby!

I will miss riding in the mountains. Jeremy doesn't have quite the same affinity for it, so last week when he had a day off, I headed up the back roads solo to the town half way up the mountain, High Rolls: elevation 6600ft. It involves some rough roads and a dismount for a water crossing, then another for a long gravel section.

Twisting and turning through Fresnal canyon, I see a few farms, a few cows, no cougar tracks (this time), and one car. It's very calm and peaceful except for my heavy breathing. Finally at the top I get to the highway which is smooth and a bit winding for the 8 or so miles downhill. No pedaling is required at all. I really enjoyed the downhill this last time since the road was empty and the gusts were minimal. The tunnel still scares me; it's dark in there! But the view on the other side is fantastic.




The hardest part of this loop was the last few hundred feet downhill in the last 9 miles. The south wind had picked up and beat me almost to submission. I eventually made it home after almost crying a few times. Here it seems March winds bring the stronger April winds, which being even worse May winds. And that brings the June heat. Probably won't miss the wind.

Meters and kilometers? Ok, whatever. Makes it sound harder.



I am counting down my last runs here. It's time to say goodbye to my roadrunner friend. And maybe my coyote friend, although, well, I would be ok skipping that. My usual runs from home, regardless of distance, go the same direction for the first 2.5 miles--always, since any other direction leads me to unfathomable boredom. It's a tough first few, almost all a steady incline. It's nothing steep, but it does make my already slow warm up miles even slower. BUT that means almost every run is negatively split. Sometimes the wind is stiff enough that even going downhill is nothing spectacular, but that nice gradual downhill makes me feel speedy on calm days. This was my flattest 11 miles, with only 400 ft gained, but whew, that uneven pacing! I am sooo slow to warm up.



My last race out here was last weekend in El Paso, and it was a great ending to my southwestern triathlon career. We got off to a rocky start in '10 when our first race in NM centered around making the volunteers feel good about themselves, and not the paying customers who were racing. I was scared that it was the local culture. I'm happy to say it is not, and I'm leaving with such a good last experience.

Mighty Mujer: time to RUN! to the bike, that is

It may be the last of my low humidity caused, straight-haired, dry skin days. Around 8% is where it was hovering the other day. I won't miss the way my throat dries into sandpaper when I'm breathing hard on the bike, or how my lips get stuck to my teeth in a grimacing smile. The ridiculous amount of sunscreen needed...well I may miss that. I stopped myself before washing off our dirty, dusty umbrella, since I realized the absurdity of that. It'll be put to use soon enough.

Walmart grocery shopping will soon be a thing of the past. Goodbye to you and your gimpy-wheeled carts that won't steer straight! We joined the CSA at Heifer Farms in Little Rock, and it has already started arriving at the cousins' house. No more 6am Sunday trips to Wally World just to get the first pick of the not-even-organic produce (that was Jeremy's job, obviously).

I keep thinking I'm going to miss the huge outdoor pool that has just been unbubbled at the rec center. But since they've recently shortened the afternoon hours to ONE hour a few days a week, and the gym we plan to join in Little Rock also has an outdoor pool, I can't say that I will miss anything besides the mountain and palm tree view.

Some significant lasts remain on my to do list. My favorite ride up in Cloudcroft is on my schedule for the last weekend we are here. I want to go back to Ruidoso for some hiking and rellenos one day. And White Sands sledding is close enough for an evening venture.


We didn't make it to the Gila Wilderness, Carlsbad Caverns, Albuquerque, or Mexico. But that's ok; we have a new state to explore this summer, and if we are really dying to come back for a visit some day, I'm sure we can stay with our creepy neighbor.

I'm such a sentimental person sometimes that I keep thinking, "oh I'm going to miss (fill in the blank)!" It is, after all, Hunter's first home. But then I snap back to the reality of where I am, and I think of all the exciting upcoming firsts.

No comments:

Post a Comment