Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Making it "home"

You'd think that having Jeremy home on "vacation" for 6 weeks would make it easy for me to find blogging time. I can't seem to. For one thing, unpacking what the packing crew boxed and labeled, while seemingly simple, and surprisingly amusing, is not easy.


Bases drumps = drums with a silent p?
Baby stabs = baby changing table and swing...huh? Still don't get it.


Don't ask what we found in here. Eek.

Moving from a house where we crammed things in every corner possible to one where we even have attic and basement space requires some planning and storing and sorting and Goodwill-ing. But I'm not complaining.

Training-wise, I was set to do two-a-days for the whole six weeks, since this vacation from J working culminates with a half ironman the weekend before he starts at his new place. It hasn't been happening quite as planned. My lungs seem to be doing fine, but the muscles, not so much. We apparently live on the highest point in the city--- no no wait, one lot up from us, at the corner, is higher. This requires my bike rides to begin in the smallest gear from the start of the driveway. Coming home, especially running in from the west, is a brutal, endless hill.

There's so much exploring to do here. There are trails to ride and run, zoos to visit, woods with a creek and chiggers (who have found a new love --> me) to explore, real restaurants to eat at, baseball games to watch, the pool down the street to swim in, and cousins to play with.

Oh, and neighbors' weeds to pull.

I've been cooking my Heifer Intl CSA produce and learning that I love kohlrabi and fennel bulbs and rainbow chard, one cabbage head can feed a few families for days, I love lettuce even after eating my weight in it, and Hunter will still eat anything. There was very appropriately named series on Huffington Post called "WTF CSA?" that helped me find some recipes for those less common veggies (kohlrabi??) one might find in her weekly basket, and I recommend it for CSAers.

Since we have a new house, we've decided to do a few things with it, like add a screened porch, stain the deck, get plantation shutters, and put furniture in every room. I, of course, just had to make over an old buffet of my great aunt's immediately, and Jeremy is taking care of the rest, with Hunter's help, of course. 


So far, so good, in our new climate, state, city, neighborhood, and house. (p.s. those are not the new shutters in the front windows, but do you like them? It was that or sheets)



7 comments:

  1. Enjoy Little Rock.. I am so jealous.. I LOVE it over there.. I always thought of it as a blot on 1-40 until my brother moved there years back ( he has since moved to Dallas)... chuk and I get over there as much as we can to eat, run, and hang out and I always say I want to live there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'all should move over here! Love it so far and I haven't even gotten into any racing yet. I hope to see y'all this summer! Let me know when you're coming!

      Delete
  2. I could not figure out what you were talking about with the shutters. ha ha!!! yes, I think you should keep them. a perfect fit. enjoy the new home. so exciting!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the move and new state, etc! I was trying to figure out WHERE you moved to --- Ah, got it now! ENJOY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww that's the picture I was supposed to take! :) Laughing at the WTF CSA series...totally get that. But of course you've made it creative and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also we should trail run this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I want more pictures of the house! :) Super excited for you Joy and I can't wait to visit!!!

    ReplyDelete