Monday, March 10, 2014

It's a Germ*


My toddler sleuth managed to find that one germ leftover from Jeremy's GI virus a few weeks ago, and apparently he ate it. So recovery from my half marathon pains consisted of a couple of days of spinning on the trainer, with intermittent (unsuccessful) dodging of a little person's vomit, followed by a few days of my own toilet hugging. The thing about a baby's stomach bug is that they don't know what's about to happen, so they don't warn you to watch out, or even
to carry them away from the bed. Poor sweet baby boy, he was so scared the first time it happened, he ran away from it. But after a couple practice rounds I could get him to laugh about his tummy saying it didn't want all that stuff in it anymore. We took lots of baths and read lots of books and I even let him watch lots of Mickey Mouse (while lying on a very protected couch).


He seemed to get back to 100% pretty quickly, and just in time for his birthday week!

My one year old (for 3 more days!) grows up a little more even during short naps. It's incredible. He doesn't just scribble anymore. He did this all by himself and then said, "Apple. With a stem on it."


We constructed a cardboard box playhouse that we have been decorating. Mostly with eggs of his, but we all chip in a little. Like the egg above the door? "Jenny drew that egg," Hunter told me. 


This one started out as an egg, then he kept adding to it until it was a kitty cat waving with one arm, and holding an egg with the other arm (bottom right corner). He is finishing up the whiskers. 


He can say about a million words now, and in 10 word sentences. Mostly commands. I told him one night if he would get in bed I would tell him a story. He said, "Mom, just say story now." He especially loves his animal stories, though he has combined a few I've told him and talks about how "Ladybug kitty cat fell in pool. Nana got her out with raft!" Well ok. That's how stories are passed down in history. 

And his counting! He counts everything. "Eighteen, nineteen, leven-teen!!" He is possibly adding as well...TBD. And he's too big for his britches. I asked, how old are you going to be on your birthday? He answered, "Four."


I didn't miss running at all this week, I didn't think about swimming, but I did finally have enough energy on Saturday to go outside for a ride in the sun. There is a hill that winds up the river bluff on the north side of the river that I always see other bikes on. It's not much of an incline compared to our NM mtns, or very long, about 250 feet up in a mile, but it's a good steady smooth road that ends at an old military facility/ now VA hospital. Or so I thought it ended. There's a path that goes along beside the campus that I just had to ride along, and found that it curves along the ridge of Big Rock Mountain, which has a shear cliff dropping down to the river. I rode a few miles along it stopping to notice the view of the entire city, the river, and the distant hills. Even panoramic pictures don't do it justice. 


I still don't miss running but with the warm weather and daylight savings this week I may change my mind soon.


*I totally identified with Seinfeld's David Putty on this particular episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment