Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Second Trimester Training + Painful Pelvis


 Spring is here! It makes us all so happy!



Somehow I'm already close to the end of the second trimester! This week little baby girl will be 26 weeks. From my vast research on the subject (kidding), the second trimester is one where most people get lots of energy, food tastes great, and they love being pregnant. My food aversions have definitely subsided and I can eat most things put in front of me, but I still don't love food. I do crave a few meals: a certain chicken, rice, and zucchini casserole; grilled cheese sandwiches on my nutty sprouted wheat bread (the secret is grilling it in lots of butter); and strawberries.

My running was going well. I had a 10 miler in there at 8:30 pace. I ran the 10k and felt surprisingly good. Running from my house, it's hilly, and my usual average pace had gone down to 8:45ish, while on the flat river trail I could do 8:30s pretty easily. At around 20-25 miles per week, I could also get in a few hours on the trainer and maybe a swim here and there when I felt like it. My bike wattage increased as my weight increased, so no real w/kg improvement, but I'll take what I can get, especially when my wattage recently got back up to a usual pre-pregnancy average. 

The fatigue of the first trimester unfortunately for me just increased. I had so many days when I could have fallen over from tiredness. I still sleep just about as much as Hunter does. I don't know how he keeps going on such little sleep! I finally figured out how to take an iron supplement without upsetting my finicky stomach. And honestly I think the nice weather and sunshine helps too!

I had a few miles here and there of ligament pain, which required a slow down and stretching. My average run paces were getting close to 9:00. Then at 25 weeks almost exactly, I ran a hilly and slow 7.5 miler in the neighborhood and had low pelvic pain the rest if the day. I've been wearing my support belt for months now, which has helped keep my abdominals from tearing like last pregnancy. But it didn't do much to keep this pelvic pain away. The next day I felt fine, but running again caused pain again immediately. Hills are worse, up or down. Walking doesn't help. A new extra sturdy belt doesn't help. I'm at a loss. 

I self-diagnosed this as Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction, for which there is a lot of contradicting plans for relief. The internet is a terrible thing for the mind when it's full of worst case scenarios. I knew I was just plain lucky in my last pregnancy running the whole way through with no problems. I guess I should count myself lucky for being able to run this long, and hopefully I can continue on the trainer and in the pool for the next 3 months. But I'll take it one day at a time and listen to any suggestions. Anyone??


Someone is still running just fine. And with a mouthful of food because we are safety conscious like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment