Wednesday, April 29, 2015

April is for Outdoors

April '15, so far. 

-Outside is where we spend most of our time in the spring, and I couldn't be happier that Hunter has my love of being out there. As much as I hate (HATE) that our green space across the street is not actually green space, but now being developed into several houses, it gives us (literally) loads of sand, gravel, and dirt to explore. Along with real, life-sized backhoes, bobcats, and bulldozers. It's pretty exciting stuff for a three-year-old boy.

-We have also been working hard on the yard and vegetable garden. Hunter gave a tour of plants to Nana and Grandaddy last weekend, and he remembers the names of every seedling out there. We so far have several tomato varieties, cucumbers, zucchini, arugula, lavender, parsley, basil, rosemary, lemongrass, beets, and one okra sprout, with a green bean bed needing some dirt. Our creek of a side yard now has rocks and ajuga holding its ground, with some hydrangeas starting to bloom near the honeysuckle. It has been a colorful spring so far, but we still have work to do and plans to carry out. A neighbor recently walked by and commented that we were always out working, which is kind of true, since we all love it.

Helping Jackson, who is so kind and patient with Hunter. 
Full speed ahead!

-I love April so much that I decided Jeremy and I should get married during it, which we did 5 years ago. We actually got a picture all together, with everyone smiling (I'm assuming on the part of the baby), for our anniversary. 


-Jeremy is now in taper mode for his upcoming Ironman, which is just over 2 weeks away. I'm super excited for his race, partly because I won't have to do it myself, and also because he has put in some really good training in lots and lots of rain and cold. He will surely benefit if it rains on race day. I want to point out that he laughed at me when I first moved into his place because of the number of bike water bottles I had. If not for my bottle hoarding habits, we couldn't keep a dozen dirty bottles on the counter at any given time and still have clean ones to drink out of. I'm sure he would appreciate if I'd get off the computer and actually wash them.

-His last long ride was with a famous (infamous?) professional cyclist. Strava can confirm.

-My own last long ride was actually 20 miles outside on my road bike! That makes 2 outside rides in less than a week. I go a speedy sub-16 mph pace now, all on pedestrian paths, and usually sitting as straight up as my little arms will allow. And yes, I'm very very careful and completely defensive while riding. A very old Los Locos jersey still fits over my belly, and I know I'm making the team proud by wearing it.

-I am 31 weeks pregnant now, and I want to say my pelvis pain is better, but I had such a plodding slow run this week that I don't think I can. Some weeks are just "tired" weeks when pregnant, and my next run may be wonderful, so I am not too upset about it. I recently got a "hey baby" catcall as a car came up from behind me, and I couldn't help but laugh as I thought of what they saw when they got around in front. The highlight of my last few runs was definitely when I passed a guy going up my last hill of the day. He even had a head start, and no, he was not a senior citizen (thanks for that question, sister). I just hope he saw the belly as I stuck it way out going by. And can I just say, the hills! The hills are getting steeper, and I realize how ridiculous they are when I run from my house and get at least 450 feet of climbing in 6 miles. 

-The shoulder pain from my tdap shot 3 weeks ago? It is still there, and still limiting my range of motion a LOT. Losing sleep over it because I can only sleep on my sides, neither of which are comfortable for it, has made me very angry at the poor nurse who could have kept me from having this disability. Yes it is a minor disability when you have a three-year-old.

-Three weeks ago I failed my one hour, non-fasting, post-run glucose test. I found out last week when the (same) nurse finally called me. The three hour, fasting, first-thing-in-the-morning test was not what bothered me about hearing this. What concerned me most besides the very small risks of my baby having hypoglycemia after birth and her increased risk of diabetes in the future was the larger risk that she could be a big baby. Doctors like to induce suspected large babies, and I am doing everything in my power to have a vbac, which most certainly does NOT include an induction. Before I even finished the 3-hr test my doctor told me that he had no concerns about me having a large baby (oh did I forget to tell him Jeremy was 9 1/2lbs and I was 8lbs2oz at birth?). I have zero risk factors for gestational diabetes, except that I am over 35 this time. I was still very nervous. It turns out that every draw for the 3-hr was normal (I do not have the sugar dia-beet-ezz, said in the voice of Wilford Brimley), and I am attributing my first failure to the run beforehand. The action of the glucagon from running I just cannot ignore. 

-This whole thing made me realize that I am certainly not getting enough protein. After estimating and tracking for a few days, I see that 50-60grams is pretty easy to hit, but getting to 100g is much harder, especially given my general dislike of meat. The Brewer pregnancy diet recommendations are now posted on my fridge, and I am sure in the next 9-ish weeks I can get this thing down. Just no liver for me. 

-9-ish weeks?! Single digits! I met my doula this week, and I do think she thinks I am a little over the top with my vbac determination. I said I'm doing everything I can!

-Coincidentally on Earth Day last week, I was super proud of Hunter for correcting me before I took a bag to the trash can. "Actually, Mommy, that's recycling." That's what I meant!


No comments:

Post a Comment