Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Achilles Healed?

My fingers are crossed, since I don't want to speak too soon, but the Achilles has been on its best behavior lately. I got in about 20 miles last week all taped up (I'm sure I was a sight with the white tape all over my lower leg and the big white belly band around my waist bulge), with no pain. Then I tested it out again with a 6 miler UNtaped yesterday, and I am happy to report zero pain and stiffness. 

The abdominals are another story, however. Every mile or so, they yell at me to stop and stretch, and remind me that they are carrying around a small bowling ball, for which a thin elastic belt is no match. I usually concede and stop for a few seconds. It's good practice for walking water stops in races anyway.

I'm almost 34 weeks now. I thought I'd be huge at this point, and guess what, I am. Some observers are very sweet in how they notice my increasing size. One of the older ladies at the pool told me I've "blossomed" recently. I think that means I look like an overinflated beach ball in my huge yellow striped swimsuit.

Being fully aware that I have six more weeks in which my proportions could expand greatly, I will not be surprised if I am able to breathe, sit, eat, run, and sleep less comfortably than I have until now. But I am a little weary of constantly being told to "just wait until..." 

I help a couple people out with their swim strokes in the pool (I know what you're thinking, but they have no idea how slow of a swimmer I am). The other day I was explaining to one how swimming is not the most comfortable activity for me. It's really not my favorite, unlike seemingly the rest of the pregnant exercising world. I get nauseated from this big baby floating up into my gut. So the response I get is, "Just wait!" Ok, until what, exactly? From my observations, you are not only a novice swimmer but also a GUY, so I'm placing your experience with swimming while pregnant at exactly zero.

I try to welcome all other advice, or well, at least pretend I'm listening and taking note. Please tell me your easy labor stories and babies who slept for 6 weeks stories, but your method of sleep training your newborn is not of interest to me. And don't tell me to skip the single and get a double jogging stroller now if I ever think I'll have more than one child. 

In other running news, I'm proud of my husband for his 3.5 min PR in the El Paso half marathon this past Sunday.  I know he'd like to have run faster, but every minute counts! In my few minutes of spare time between photography shots, I ran the 5k course 20 minutes behind everyone else. I got many cheers and a "you're last!" from a kind spectator. I even led another procrastinator back on course, or actually maybe he cut the course. Oops. I then proceeded on to run the last bit of the half marathon course to cheer on the first finishers. A few course directors looked a little surprised and one policeman told me I should've run the race!, to which I replied, "if only I had my only category!" He gave me a thumbs up and told me he was impressed. Another woman seemed to be using me as an argument when I overheard, "well she's PREGnant and running."

I'll end with a few pictures of the race and downtown El Paso, just a stone's throw across the Rio Grande to Juarez. By the way, there is a Juarez marathon, which I think should be called an adventure race. I'm sure you're dodging bullets and jumping over homicide victims every mile or two.

J is easy to spot in his white hat that is visible over all other heads.



Just so we know which side of the border we're on. And how strong the wind is.



The festive finish line decor.



Happy running to all! Is it spring yet?

2 comments: